Snoring is a problem that affects millions of people in the United States and many more worldwide. For some, it is little more than a nuisance but for others, it can severely impact their quality of life. In fact, snoring may even be a deadly problem in some individuals, so it is no laughing matter.
One of the issues associated with snoring is that it can affect your spouse as well as you. Your spouse may experience sleepless nights as a result of your snoring and eventually, it could begin to cause marital problems that are long-lasting. There may be something lurking under the surface, however, that puts you at a severe risk.
It is estimated that three out of four people who have a snoring problem are also suffering from obstructive sleep apnea. This problem causes a disruption of sleep for short periods of time and it increases your risk of many health issues, including heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke. It may also make you sleepy through the day, causing you to lose concentration or perhaps even fall asleep behind the wheel.
There are numerous aids on the market to assist with snoring but sometimes, it is best just to try one of the natural snoring remedies. Many of the aids associated with snoring have not been properly tested, but natural solutions have withstood the test of time. Here are 9 options you may want to consider.
1. Lose Weight – If you are carrying around a few extra pounds, you now have even more of a reason to take them off. Excess weight can exacerbate a snoring problem and can certainly lead to an increase in obstructive sleep apnea. Losing weight may help to ease the snoring problem and it will also help you sleep better in many other ways as well.
2. Switch Positions – One of the biggest issues for many people who snore is the fact that they sleep on their backs. This may be the most comfortable way for you to sleep but it also can lead to snoring problems. When you sleep on your back, the soft palate and tongue will collapse into the throat, resulting in snoring. Sleep on your side or stomach to reduce the problem.
3. Open The Nasal Passages – Some people snore from the throat and others snore from their nasal passages. If you tend to have a nasal snore, you may be able to reduce the problem by opening the nasal passages. Some of the ways that you could do this include using a neti pot, taking a hot shower before bedtime and using nasal strips. This is one of the natural snoring remedies that is often overlooked.
4. Practice Good Sleep Habits – Many people suffer from a problem that is known as poor sleep hygiene. This doesn’t have a lot to do with your cleanliness but rather, it has to do with your sleep habits. Working hard during the day without getting enough sleep at night is a recipe for disaster. You may also suffer from a problem with “sleep procrastination,” causing you to get a reduced amount of sleep at night as well. Establish a bedtime and a waking time that allows you to get enough sleep.
5. Try Snoring Exercises – A number of different exercises that focus on the muscles of the throat may help to reduce both snoring and sleep apnea. Some specific exercises include sticking your tongue out and tilting your head as far back as far as you comfortably can. You may also try bouncing your diaphragm, lifting your uvula and humming through your nose. A few weeks of these natural snoring remedies can really help.
6. Use Peppermint – One of the issues that could lead to snoring is inflammation. Gargling with a peppermint mouthwash can help to reduce inflammation in the throat and nose.
7. Switch Pillows – If you haven’t switched pillows in a while, it may be time to do so. Pillows are a sponge for allergens, including dust, dust mites and pollen. Since you are breathing directly in the area of the pillow at night, a clean pillow may be your ticket to better sleep.
8. Give up Your Vices – Try giving up as many of your vices as you can, such as smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol or eating a fatty meal before bedtime. Making adjustments in this regard can really help.
9. Hydrate – Finally, make sure that you are staying hydrated. Dehydration can affect the entire body and may lead to snoring.
These 9 different tips can really help if you have a problem with snoring. Not only will you appreciate getting a good night’s sleep, your spouse will appreciate your efforts as well.